Can Dogs Eat Black Olives?

Can Dogs Eat Black Olives?

Whether your dog just wolfed down that tray olives you had put aside for Greek Cuisine Night or you just want to treat your dog to a food you think he’ll enjoy, don’t worry – black olives are perfectly safe for dogs to eat.

But that doesn’t mean you should start filling that doggie bowl with every olive you can find. Black olives aren’t going to kill your dog – but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re healthy.

Your dog can enjoy a diet that includes the odd black olive (and, yes, green olives, are fine, too), but make sure you follow a few sensible precautions beforehand.

Also read: Can Dogs Eat Almond Butter?

1. Remove The Pit

Never, ever, under any circumstances give your dog an olive with the pit still inside. If there are still pits inside, there’s a very high risk that your dog will swallow them; and if your dog swallows a pit, there’s a risk he’ll start choking.

Buy pitted olives or, at the very least, make sure if you take the pit out before you put it in your dog’s bowl.

If your dog has already swallowed an olive pit, check for the tell-tale signs that he might be choking. If his lips are turning blue, he’s pawing at the mouth, struggling to breathe, or showing general agitation, your dog might be choking – and if so, you need to call your vet right away.

Can Dogs Eat Black Olives?

2. Use All-Natural Olives

Those black olives you buy in jars that are swimming in salt and oil are very high in sodium. They really aren’t that healthy for anyone – but for your dog, it can be a lot worse than it is for you.

Too much sodium in a dog’s diet can throw off the fluid balance in their bodies and can even bring on a condition called hypernatremia. That can leave your dog unusually thirsty, confused, and disoriented. It can even bring on vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and – in extreme cases – could send your dog into a coma.

Sure, the black olives coated in salt and oil might taste a little better – but no matter good something tastes, it’s just not worth risking your dog’s health.

So get them the all-natural ones that haven’t been anywhere near a salt shaker. And, while you’re at it, get some for yourself, too.

Read more: Can Dogs Eat Beets?

3. Serve Black Olives In Moderation

Can Dogs Eat Black Olives?

Even if you’re using the healthiest black olives around, you still don’t want to give your dog too many. As a good rule of thumb, try not to let human food make up more than 5% of your dog’s diet and make the other 95% high-quality dog food.

Good dog food is designed to make sure that dogs get the nutrition they need. When we start slipping in other foods, there are risks involved – and not just the fact that your puppy’s going to start begging for food every time you open a jar of olives.

Too much human food in a dog’s diet can lead to some serious weight problems. And, just like in humans, those weight problems can lead to breathing problems, heart disease, and worse.

So if you’re going to feed your dog black olives, take a few sensible precautions. Take the pit out, wash the salt off, and make sure you’re not going overboard.

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Leave a Reply: